Thursday 19 December 2013

Sleep? What’s that?


So, pregnancy, I have a bone to pick with you.

I was under the impression that sleepless nights only came ONCE the baby had arrived. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that I didn’t sign up for sleepless nights just yet. So why do you plague me with them so?!

Sleep Issue 1: OK so firstly, I have to pee like, every 90 minutes. It’s pretty much clock work now. I know that If I go to bed at 10:30, I’ll be up at 12pm, 1:30, 3pm, 4:30 and then 6pm, just before my alarm goes. It’s not fun, but that on its own would be somewhat manageable, it’s all the other stuff too which makes sleeping so much harder!

Sleep Issue 2: The thirst. I realise that this could possibly be a contributing factor to Sleep Issue 1, but after various tests I have concluded that it matters not if I drink a thimble of water prior to going to bed or a litre of the stuff, the 90 minute rule will still apply. That said, why is it that I can make it through the day on a relatively normal quota of liquid, but by the time I lay my head to rest in bed, I’m suddenly possessed by a thirst demon that demands I drink my weight in water before I’m allowed to close my eyes? I find this just plain weird.

Sleep Issue 3.  I am hot. ALL the time. I’ve been sleeping in a sheet since about week 12 and it’s now November and I’m still in a sheet, terrified of the sweats that will inevitably overcome me should I dare to snuggle into a duvet. Even with just a sheet I’ve been knows to wake with a clammy neck, its grim. Aaah Duvet, you are banned from my side of the bed for the foreseeable, and I’m missing you so much!

Sleep Issue 4. Then there’s the sleeping on your side thing. For a (former) tummy sleeper like me, this is so un-natural and uncomfortable! If it wasn’t for the waking every 90 minutes to pee, I’d be awake having to turn onto my other said to remedy my dead leg, torso and arm, which is completely floppy from where I’ve been leaning on it. Joy.

Sleep Issue 4: Dreams. Oh the pregnancy dreams, they are pretty damn vivid and I’ve actually managed to wake myself up on more than 1 occasion because I’ve been talking so loudly, out loud to myself. (My poor hubby!)

So Pregnancy, a little heads up would have been great is all I’m trying to say, given that I had plans of storing up as much sleep as possible ahead of Baby B’s arrival!


And if one more persons utters the words ‘It’s your body’s way of getting you ready for the sleepless nights when your baby comes’, I won’t be held accountable for my sleep deprived actions!

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone else, or is it just me?! 

1 comment:

  1. Ohh I had no problem sleeping with my girls but the pregnancy dreams really freaked me out.....They seemed so real!
    Hope you manage to get some proper sleep soon x

    ReplyDelete